Ten kilometers from Apollonia, just before Platy Gialos, is the most famous spot on the island, Chrysopigi.
On the peninsula here is Monastery of Panagia of Chrysopigi (Virgin Mary of Chrysopigi)(1523), patron and protector of the island, celebrated with a festival on the eve of Analipsi (Ascension Day). The festival of Chrysopigi follows a special ritual that includes procession of the icon around the villages and an all-night vigil. It attracts hundreds of pilgrims every year.
The rocks at Chrysopigi are a favourite jumping off point for many swimmers.
East of the church is the sandy beach of ‘Apokoftou’ with its crystal-clear azure waters. The only buildings are the two restaurants right on the sands. From there, begins a cobbled pathway leading to the beach of Glyfos in Faros.
West of the church is Saoures, a small secluded pebble beach.
Local attractions include the White Tower, located near the crossroads between Platy Gialos and Chrysopigi, which is the most famous of the 77 ancient towers on the island and the best preserved.
In the general area of Chrysopigi there is a grocer’s and limited tourist accommodation.